Activities of the Department
The Department conducts research and testing, implementation, training and standardisation activities concerning the following areas:
- Using galvanic methods to produce the following coatings:
– functional coatings,
– protective coatings,
– decorative coatings,
– decorative and protective coatings.
- Tests of properties of coatings and baths.
- Methods for mitigating the environmental impact of surface treatment and production of coatings as part of Best Available Techniques (BAT).
- Recycling and recovery of materials.
- Using electrochemical and chemical methods in surface engineering.
- Research on the production and properties of protective, decorative and technical coatings, including alloy, composite and conversion coatings.
- Using the selective (brush plating) method for application of coatings on metal.
- Preparing oxide layers by anodic oxidation on light metal alloys.
- Research on the production of alloy and composite coatings that enable the replacement of chromium and cadmium coatings.
- Research on electrochemical corrosion processes.
- Adaptation of production processes in the surface treatment industry to the legal requirements arising from the environmental policy and principles of sustainable development.
- Research on innovative technologies for material recycling and recovery.
- Design, implementation and standardisation work.
- Development of technologies for the production of coatings using galvanic techniques.
- Development and production of advanced compounds and technological products for electroplating.
- Tests of coating properties (chemical composition, thickness, microhardness, roughness, surface morphology, gloss, galvanic corrosion).
- Analyses of galvanic baths.
- Application of precious metal coatings, in particular gold and silver.
- Reports, studies and technical consulting in the following areas:
– assessment of the quality of processes, materials and products;
– assessment of technologies and processes in the context of environmental impact;
– Best Available Techniques (BAT) and cleaner production technologies in surface treatment of metals.
- Specialist training in electroplating and associated areas (environmental protection, OHS, standardisation, galvaniser’s job).